Monday 31 July 2017

Is Jesus' Teaching in the Gospels and the Old Testament irrelevant To Us?- Part 1

Some have taken it upon themselves, in my opinion at least,  to put Jesus teachings on trial.

They have come to the conclusion that Jesus words and teachings were not directed to the new testament believer. Hailing the teachings of Paul in the Epistle and also giving approval to the teachings of Peter and John. Their judgement on this issue, is that the teachings of Jesus in the gospels should be viewed or validated from the lens of the revelations that Paul, Peter and John shared.

In fact I read a part of an article by a man I respect(ed) in which he wrote on this issue(I have no way of verifying but I think he is the source of this position)

Read His words:

The Word alone, as unveiled in the Pauline Revelation is the only safe guide. Don't misunderstand me. You cannot be guided by the teachings of John the Baptist and of Jesus as recorded in the four Gospels in regard to any experience, unless that teaching of the four Gospels is confirmed, explained, elucidated in the Pauline Revelation, or with Peter's and John's unveiling in their Epistles. In the four Gospels, Jesus is dealing almost exclusively with the Jews, the First Covenant people, who were natural men, spiritually dead. In the Pauline Revelation, He is dealing almost exclusively with the New Covenant people, the New Creation folks.
To say I disagree with this position will be an understatement. I find this position most revolting and had to send it to some other friends of mine in sincere hope, that I might have misunderstood his comments.

I was left shocked by it, and couldn't believe that this position was held by this man(whom I will choose not to name). I will, however, use his words above as the material for my post in defense of what Jesus taught and preached but I have only one question to ask, How do we as believers, come to put the words of a follower above the master himself? Has the disciple become greater than the master? Can the very word made flesh not speak to all of humanity? In Some of his statements, Jesus even "re-wrote" the law, He said it has been said but I say on to you. Statements that point to his Divinity but more on this later

Some others have advised that we throw away the old testament and the four gospels. Basically saying, that a new testament believer has nothing to learn from the old testament.

Today, I am at loss as to which issue I should address first or if I can handle the two topics in one post. Still undecided.

I can not give a short response to the two positions but will attempt a more robust response on these issues later. I know, I run the risk of making this post a long one so I will just drop this first and continue in another post. However, if you are unable to read my continuing post,

here is something to consider.

For those who say that Jesus preached the law:
 For the Law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ. -John 1:17
The law and the prophets were UNTIL John(The baptist):...Luke 16:16 Jesus was after John the Baptist.

As for their take on the Old testament being invalid, I can only borrow the very words of Paul in 1 Timothy 3:16:

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:  

When Paul wrote this the scriptures he spoke about was the Torah,which is what we call the OLD TESTAMENT.

A detailed post will come later but I hope this gets us thinking a bit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment