Tuesday 26 March 2013

My Testimony Part 3- Easy Solutions-the Stumble and the Fall

I went about my duties at the branch and was happy with the new career choice I had made. For a six month period it seemed like everything was looking up for me.

I also decided that I would be the best I could be as a Christian, I made out time to pray more and study my bible more. I had very few friends in my new location and I could spend time at home on my own. Not only was my life better but I was shaping up in my Christian life.

As I drew closer to God, I was confronted with my pride and attitude of putting down my colleagues, I must confess I cant say exactly how I reacted but I thought I was making some corrections in that direction.

As I neared the conclusion of my probation period, upon which I was due to be confirmed as a permanent staff and was expecting a huge allowance with a promotion. 

Almost everything was ready, I had received information that my school had written a reference letter confirming my results, my personal reference had responded. The only reference left was from my former employers and with this last reference I could be appraised and my appointment confirmed. I had gotten very good verbal appraisals from my immediate supervisors and was seemed on my way to receive a huge ''settlement''.

I contacted my former bank's HR and was informed that I would not be getting my reference letter until I paid back the amount given to me as upfront (You see banks give you a substantial  portion of your annual salary in advance so that you would remain with the organization, you are required to pay back the unearned portion if you leave the bank and require their reference).

So here I was, saddled with a debt I needed to pay that was the only stumbling block to my promotion and allowance. I needed this issue settled immediately so I could move to a new level. So I took a loan from a 30 day period from a friend A to make up the money needed for the loan payment. This solution was easy but proved costly later on.


When the time came to pay back the loan, I didn't have it because the bank had calculated that I owed more than I had already paid and needed to pay more. I paid using my salary and had a promise from a friend B to give me the money needed to pay up the first loan collected. I was digging one hole to fill another hole.

On the strength of the above promise  and in my impatience, I gave an instruction for money to be paid to my friend with the hope that I would have the money to pay back before the end of the day as promised. 

As the day drew to a close, friend B said he could not pay in the money I needed and that it would be have to be the next day.

At that point I was now in trouble. 

I had just given an instruction for money to be transferred without making the money available, my account was not funded to pay for what was transferred. This would stick out of  the branch's books for at least one day if friend B is to be taken at his word and the amount was a sizable sum that could not easily be replaced.

I made every effort to see if I could pay back the money but failed. As the Teller who was Mrs Pity (remember her from the last blog) started asking for the money which she needed to tidy up for the day. I had to swallow my pride and in my desperation told Mrs Foxy the situation I had put myself in.

Mrs Foxy who was a custodian of the cash books suggested that she could cover for me for one day since the branch auditor was not around to inspect the books.  To this I agreed and was much relieved, looking back now I know that was a very big mistake and a poor choice I made. 

Here began my downfall.....

No comments:

Post a Comment