Thursday 28 March 2013

My Testimony Part 4- A Betrayal?

The day passed without event and my friend came through with the funds needed to tidy our books. No one else knew about what had transpired the day before and there was no way of finding out except Mrs. Foxy said anything about what happened. I believed that it was all behind me and that Mrs Foxy had my back,on that front, as she was the one that proposed the cover up in the first place.

There was no financial loss to the bank and the branch auditor would return in two days time. Our books were fine and there was absolutely no trace of what had occurred. I was much relieved to say the least but not for too long.

Within this period I had a nagging impression to pray against hidden agenda (that's the best way I can explain what I felt). I prayed for a couple of weeks and soon went on with my life.

About a month after, my reference letter had been received and my confirmation was being processed. I was so glad that finally it was all behind me and I was soon going to be paid.

 I got a shocking mail!

It was a mail , a query rather, from my immediate supervisor asking me what part I played with regards to our books being out for one day. He also asked about issues of dry-posting (a term that spoke of asking for transfer of funds without making the money available immediately) in the branch. This mail was a rude shock to me and I was scared to my marrow. I called him to inquire as to why he sent me the mail but he did not say anything to me but  to instruct me to answer the mail.

I dropped the phone more confused about what he knew, and immediately called Mrs. Foxy to know if she knew anything about the mail. she denied any knowledge of the mails or who might have informed him.

Anyway to cut the Long story short, I later found out that Mrs. Foxy and Mrs Pity were the brains behind all that. Mrs Foxy,with Mrs Pity collaborating her story, had told the Auditor, who had informed his boss and I was being investigated without knowing it or rather I was just the last to know about it.

I initially denied it, cause I was scared of admitting what I had done and I trusted that Mrs Foxy did not sell me out. I found out that she did actual sell me out, when I needed to work with her computer and by chance clicked on an email she sent to my supervisor. That email told me that she had told the auditor after he returned of what happened in his absence and that she felt it was her professional responsibility to do so. That she needed to 'blow the whistle' on me as she said in her mail. Her account was supported by Mrs. Pity.  I couldn't finish reading the email as I saw that my coffin had longed been nailed shut and the query I received was not out of the blues but based on several mails that had gone on behind my back.

I wrote a mail to my boss detailing everything that had happened and ended by blaming everything on me cause I could not be the cause for which Mrs Foxy or Mrs Pity lost their jobs. My supervisor promised to help me but when I think about it now, I remember he never stood up for me when anything went bad during the normal course of business in the branch, he always left me to face any heat from the Head office. That should have told me, not to trust his statements.

I worked in the branch for a further 3 months in which they sent auditors to review our books to determine if I had stolen any money from the bank or any customer while being told to await a call  from Lagos to face a disciplinary committee. I was redeployed to marketing and my supervisor assured me that I would not be sacked but sent to another branch.

This 3 months period was a difficult time and I lost a lot of weight within that time. I had to work every day with the very people who I felt betrayed me (well looking back, I wouldn't have done what they did, I think she should not have covered even for a day but I can't blame them). It was within this time,  I learnt to let go the bitterness in my heart and forgive even when neither Mrs Foxy nor Mrs Pity asked for my forgiveness.

Finally my pride was gone and I had a lot of secret tears. Going to work was a huge burden and tested my endurance. I thought of resigning but no one would accept a resignation in the middle of an investigation. I endured it if only to clear my name that I had not stolen from the bank.

After all the investigations, It was determined that I had not taken any money from the bank but I was sacked for compelling my subordinates to go outside of the banks policy.

I had no inclination that I had been sacked a day after I was sacked. I just went to work one morning and was unable log on to my system. I informed the auditor of this development when he came and he checked his system and found my sack letter dated 13th October 2010. I dropped my identity card, my lapel pin and worked out of the branch with my head bowed on Thursday, 14th of October 2010.

My dream had turned into a nightmare.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment